Monday 10 June 2013

Chitrapournami 2013:Part 1

Chitrapournami is celebrated every year on full moon of the Chittirai month. Mostly this will be around April or May. And this celebration is special for Lord Murugan.

And this year it was celebrated on 25th April 2013. And lazy lazy lazy me, I only have time to write about it now.

At Teluk Intan, Chitrapournami is celebrated at Nagarathaar Sri Thandayuthapani Temple. There is a small temple at the river bank which most of the people and I know as Manal Medu temple, which celebrates this well.

I stay 18km away from Teluk Intan and my parents, brother and I will travel back and forth three times on this particular day.

Why 3 times? My mother need to  fulfill her vow to Lord Murugan by carrying ''paal kudam" or milk pots. We will go early in the morning to avoid crowds.

Then, we will go around afternoon to watch different types of kaavadi and the celebrations.

Celebrations around afternoon:



 
 
 
The collage above is some of the Kaavadis that I captured and below will be the urumi melam in the temple.
 
Will update above night celebrations soon...:).

No comments:

Post a Comment